At the start of 2015, InsuranceERM launched a call for nominations for its inaugural list of the most influential people working in our field.
We wanted to highlight the individuals who had shown the greatest dedication to improving the enterprise risk management of insurance companies, whether in their main roles as risk officers, consultants or regulators, or in their wider contributions to developing expertise across the sector.
We imposed two main criteria – they must be based predominantly in the UK and Europe, and they must have made their influence felt in the past year.
This means the list excludes the many personalities who over the decades have significantly influenced insurance ERM, but who have since retired or changed their focus. As I am sure the people here will testify, we stand on the shoulders of giants and acknowledge our debt to them. We also recognise that influence is not limited by borders and our counterparts in Asia-Pacific and the Americas have much we can learn from.
Such lists are naturally subjective and compiled with the expectation that they will provoke thought and debate. If you think we have missed anyone off the list, or have other comments and criticisms, please use the comments section below or email us at [email protected]
Entries appear in alphabetical order.
- Renzo Avesani, CRO, Unipol
- Burkhard Balz, German MEP
- Gabriel Bernardino, chairman of the European Insurance and Occupational Pensions Authority
- Neil Cantle, principal and consulting actuary, Milliman
- Marcia Cantor-Grable, director of emerging risk and regulatory developments, Prudential
- Graham Fulcher, EMEA P&C sales and practice leader, Towers Watson
- Paul Fulcher, head of European ALM structuring, Nomura
- Tom Ground, head of bulk annuities & longevity insurance, Legal & General
- Andrew Hitchcox, group CRO, Tokio Marine Kiln
- Alex Hindson, CRO, Amlin
- Olav Jones, deputy director general, Insurance Europe
- Yoshihiro Kawai, secretary general, International Association of Insurance Supervisors
- Sue Kean, group CRO, Old Mutual
- Patrick Liedtke, European head of financical institutions group, BlackRock
- Sean McGovern, CRO and general counsel, Lloyd's
- Kathryn Morgan, director of regulatory operations, Gibraltar Financial Services Commission
- Eberhard Müller, CRO, Hannover Re
- Robert Muir-Wood, chief research officer, RMS
- Romain Paserot, director of insurance supervision, Autorité de Contrôle Prudentiel et de Resolution
- Bruce Porteous, investment solutions director, Standard Life Investments
- Michael Sicsic, group risk director, Aviva
- Raj Singh, group CRO, Standard Life
- Klaus Wiedner, head of the insurance and pension unit, European Commission
- Tom Wilson, CRO, Allianz Group