PANEL DISCUSSION: REGULATORS IN CONVERSATION: WHERE WILL THE SUPERVISORY SPOTLIGHT BE IN 2020?
A high profile panel of regulators will discuss the key risks on their radar and steps they are taking to address these risks.
- Approach to climate risk
- Response to the way AI will influence the business?
- Identifying and supporting vulnerable customers in a digital environment
- Operational resilience and 3rd party risk
Moderator: Lukas Viewer, Chief Risk Officer, Athora
Andrew Candland, Head of Division, Actuarial, Advisory and Major International Insurance Firms, Insurance Directorate, Central Bank of Ireland
Dr. Frank Grund, Chief Executive Director of Insurance and Pension Funds Supervision, BaFin
Insurance Directorate, Central Bank of Ireland
Patrick Montagner, First Deputy Secretary General, ACPR
PLENARY: CRO OF THE FUTURE – “2ND LINE” AS A TRUSTED BUSINESS PARTNER
- What are the expectations from the “2nd line” today and going forward?
- What are the key changes “winners of tomorrow” will start implementing today?
- Which skillset needs to be created in the CRO organizations to make those future-fit?
Speaker: Allegra van Hovell-Patrizi, Group CRO, Aegon
PANEL DISCUSSION: SII BECOMES "BUSINESS AS USUAL" – HOW USEFUL IS IT PROVING AND WHERE ARE THE AREAS OF INEFFICIENCY?
- What changes need to happen for SII to reach its full potential?
- What are the key items on the agenda for the 2020 SII review?
- How will the PRA respond to SII reforms in a post -Brexit scenario?
- How can we increase alignment between regulatory reporting and business need?
- How do regulatory reporting processes need to change to keep pace with a faster moving business model?
- SFCR and RSR – what if any value is derived at present? Should we be aiming for minimal compliance or a truly useful document?
- What makes for a truly dynamic ORSA that brings business value?
Andrew Bailey, Director of Financial Risk, Just
Egil Heilund Chief Risk Officer Nordea Life & Pensions
Ismael Moreno, Chief Risk Officer, Vida Caixa
Karel van Hulle
Brian Rhoads, Head of the Insurance Client Practice Team, Quantitative Risk Management
PANEL DISCUSSION: MAKING SCENARIO PLANNING MEANINGFUL, EFFECTIVE AND MANAGEABLE
- Which new drivers of uncertainty and which new scenarios should we consider given the new geopolitical and technological outlook?
- Factoring in the Interconnectedness of Risk
- Compounding scenarios
- Transitioning from scenario planning to decision making and business steering
Moderator: Paul Walsh, Staff Writer, InsuranceERM
Alessa Quane, Executive Vice President and Chief Risk Officer, AIG
Greg Shepherd, Global Head of Risk Management & MINT Chief Risk Officer, Markel Corporation
Natasha Naidoo, Chief Risk Officer, Generali UK
12:10 CAPITAL PRESERVATION UNDER STRESSSED ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENTS
- The current economic environment is persistent and serves as the new-normal, but what if it’s not as persistent as we think it is?
- As the market is increasingly showing signs of stress, it is of significant importance that the board can act swiftly
- How can you quickly and efficiently evaluate and understand the drivers of both market uncertainty and management actions with regards to your business?
- A practical case study on the benefits of forward-looking economic capital attribution in ALM analyses that capture enterprise-wide risks and external threats - all to support long term sustainable capital generation
Speaker: Tessa Kuijl, Senior Specialist,Ortec Finance
PANEL DISCUSSION: INTERNAL MODELS AS VALUE-ADDED DECISION-MAKING BUSINESS TOOLS – WHAT WORK IS STILL TO BE DONE?
- Real uses of capital models; how relevant and useful is the internal model in a BAU environment?
- Broadening use of the capital model across the business.
- Identifying, understanding and accommodating limitations of the model.
- Forgetting 1-in-200, how reliable and effective are the models at the 1-in-5-20 year period?
- Maintaining approval and validation.
- Model change processes. Managing continuous improvements
- How do you manage to keep the model really reflecting the risk process when business is changing all the time and when focus and resources have diminished?
Moderator: Chris Cundy, Managing Editor, InsuranceERM
Jason Noronha, Head of Actuarial & Analytics, Aon Global Risk Consulting
Christian Dahmen, Chief Risk Officer, New Re
Gerhard Stahl, Member of the Executive Board of HDI Service AG, Chief Risk Officer of the HDI Group Simon Spurr, Group Head of Risk Management, International General Insurance
ADDING VALUE WITH AN INTERNAL MODEL IN MANAGING THE BUSINESS
- Using the capital model in performing strategic asset allocation (SAA)
- Automating the workflow of SAA studies
- Providing in an automated manner insights in capital sensitivities and movement
Speaker: Jorg Sauren, Head of Risk Systems, Group Enterprise Risk Management,NN Group
PANEL DISCUSSION: TECH INNOVATION: THE IMPACT OF AI AND PREDICTIVE ANALYTICS ON RISK MANAGEMENT
- Harnessing the power of data: How is AI changing the industry and what does this mean for the risk team?
- Where and how are firms managing to use AI and predictive analytics most effectively for risk identification, risk assessment and risk management?
- To what extent has this enhanced capabilities?
- Balancing efficiencies against risks: What could further innovation in AI mean for future new risks and enhanced risk management practices?
- How well placed are risk teams to capitalize on the opportunities and to face these risks?
- Associated model risk and model validation challenges
- Ensuring good governance around algorithms and robotics
Moderator: Ronan McCaughey, Deputy Editor & Commercial Editor, InsuranceERM
Bart Rikkert, Aegon
Matthew Byrne, Head of Actuarial Function, NFU Mutual
PANEL DISCUSSION: WHAT NEW AND DIFFERENT TYPES OF INVESTMENT RISK ARE INSURERS EXPOSING THEMSELVES TO AND HOW WELL DO WE UNDERSTAND THEM?
- New investment risks
- Are insurers starting to take too much risk by investing in progressively more complex structures?
- Preparing for the end of the credit cycle
- How can ERM work with the investment function more closely and effectively?
- Better aligning the internal model with investments and making it a useful tool in portfolio optimization.
David Epstein, Group ALM Director, Aviva
Lukas Ziewer, Group Chief Risk Officer, Athora
Corrado Pistarino, Chief Investment Officer, Foresters Friendly Society
Roshan Lachman, Financial Risk Director, Phoenix Group
Moderator: Russell Busst, Chief Executive Officer and Chief Investment Officer, Conning