14:20 PANEL DISCUSSION: Driving opportunities for responsible investment: how can the green finance market evolve and develop sufficiently to address climate change?
- The investor role in a just transition
- The proportion given over to responsible investing is still minimal – how is that trend changing?
- How can financial market participants work together to make responsible investment mainstream?
- Sovereign bonds
- Engaging with industry and policy makers
- The demand for resilient/green/sustainable investment vehicles is outstripping supply – how do we redress the balance?
- Development of quantitative metrics in making responsible investment choices
Director, Institutional Investors Group on Climate Change
Emily Penn, Capital Initiatives and Investment Director, LV=
Prasun Mathur, Head of Private Assets, Aviva
Michael Lewis, Head of ESG Thematic Research, DWS
Thora Frost, Senior Client Manager for Green Finance, The Carbon Trust
Moderator: Graham Cooper, Contributing Editor, Environmental Finance
14:20 EXTENDED SESSION:PANEL DISCUSSION: HOW DO YOU MAKE SENSE OF CLIMATE CHANGE RISK, AND BEGIN TO ASSESS FINANCIAL IMPACTS FROM CLIMATE CHANGE GIVEN ALL THE UNCERTAINTIES AROUND MODELLING IT?
- What action is possible in the absence of certainty?
- Current status quo of climate risk modeling – what are the current tools/capacity for modeling and where are the limitations?
- Where are the opportunities for progress and improvement?
- Where are the gaps in our understanding and capabilities and where do we look to next in order to plug these gaps?
- How will regulatory initiatives help in closing this gap?
- Assessment of key ongoing promising initiatives
- What are the assumptions and scenarios we should be basing the modeling on?
- Ensuring the completeness and quality of the data input
- What data infrastructure do we need and what is the key to obtaining it?
- To what extent are we already able to quantify the financial impact of climate risk, and steer business decisions?
- Next steps for the industry
Federico Waisman, Senior Vice President, Research and Development, Ariel Re
Hjörtur Thráinsson, Modelling Expert, Munich Re
Lasse Wallquist, Swiss Re
Finn Clawson, Aviva
Alkis Tsimaratos, Managing Director and Head of EMEA West/South operations, Willis Re
15:00 Frameworks to measure the environmental and social benefits of investments
This session will present Zurich' impact measurement framework that spans across different asset classes. The framework focuses on two impact metrics "CO2 emissions avoided" and "People benefited".
The presentation will cover the following aspects:
- What are the assumptions required to aggregate the impact across instruments/ asset classes
- What is the aggregation methodology
- What are the learnings: what works well and what are the challenges
- What do we need to do to improve / facilitate measuring the impact
Danielle Brassel, Responsible Investment Analyst, Zurich