The prestigious winners of InsuranceERM's climate risk and sustainability awards 2023 can be revealed.
Spanning 16 categories for company, individual and team performances, the inaugural awards recognise excellence, leadership and innovation in climate risk management and sustainability.
Aviva picked up sustainable insurer of the year for seeking to understand and manage the climate risks in its assets and liabilities, push forward the sustainability of its business and products, and its international leadership in policymaking around sustainability and climate.
Credit Suisse Insurance Linked Strategies clinched the climate and sustainability team of the year for pioneering work in developing an ESG framework for insurance-linked securities.
Alex Hindson, a partner and head of sustainability at risk, advisory and audit firm Crowe UK, won InsuranceERM's climate and sustainability champion of the year.
Hindson scooped the title having proven himself as a highly experienced and effective risk and sustainability professional who is passionate about helping businesses build a sustainable future.
The Association of British Insurers (ABI) were very successful in the awards – collecting two wins and one highly commended. Plaudits also go to WTW for their two award wins.
InsuranceERM's deputy editor and commercial editor, Ronan McCaughey, thanked everyone who submitted entries and praised the judging panel for their expertise and time.
McCaughey said: "Winning an InsuranceERM climate risk and sustainability award is a marvellous achievement and recognises you as leader in your class. These awards celebrate pioneering individuals, teams and companies that are truly addressing climate and sustainability risk in the insurance industry.
"The long-term commitment of our winners to climate and sustainability and their exceptional innovation makes them worthy winners. Given the world is in a state of climate emergency, we need people like this more than ever."
The 2023 winners are below:
People and teams
- Climate and sustainability champion of the year: Alex Hindson, Crowe UK
- Climate and sustainability champion of the year: Highly commended, Ben Howarth, ABI
- Climate and sustainability rising star of the year: Rebecca Lea, ABI
- Climate and sustainability team of the year: Credit Suisse Insurance Linked Strategies
- Climate and sustainability collaboration of the year: kWh Analytics and Aspen
- Sustainable insurance initiative of the year: WTW
- Climate-smart initiative of the year: WTW
- Nature/biodiversity initiative of the year: ABI
- Climate risk research paper of the year: Institute and Faculty of Actuaries
Software and technology
- Climate risk analytics solution of the year: Praedicat CoMeta/Climate Casualty Toolkit
- Climate regulatory and reporting solution of the year: Normative
- Climate risk modelling solution of the year: Moody's
- Climate stress-testing solution of the year: Conning Climate Risk Scenarios and Climate Risk Analyzer
- Climate data provider of the year: GRESB
How the awards were judged
Judges reviewed the entry material submitted and then voted in a secret ballot. The votes were counted and verified by InsuranceERM's team.
The panel of judges are senior insurance risk professionals, as well as climate and sustainability risk experts from around the world, each chosen for their knowledge and objectivity.
The judges' decision is final and neither InsuranceERM nor the judging panel will enter into any correspondence regarding individual entries and/or the award winners.